Sunday, January 2, 2011

Finally Arrived

I have finally arrived in the UAE. Woohoo!!
Found out on December 30th that I was flying out on January 1st. I left home with a few tears. Hard to leave everything and everyone behind.
Started to second guess my decision a few times during my travels. Boarding the plane in St. Johns it crossed my mind to turn around and go home. Then I got to Toronto with 7 hours to spare. Had to tote all my luggage around waiting for check-in desk to open. Had a mini meltdown then. I have to admit I travel often but never alone. Very different experience.
Finally desk opens and when I get to the counter I'm told I can't check in because due to new regulations I need a copy of my work visa, which I don't have, and it's 1:30 am in Abu Dhabi and can't reach anyone. Fun fun. Spent next few hours waiting and making calls. Finally reached someone and got my visa number with 45 minutes to spare. Then I flew to Abu Dhabi which took about 12 1/2 hours.
Had someone waiting for me as soon as I stepped off the plane, which was excellent. Got through the airport quickly and then off to the hotel.
Very nice hotel and it's where other teachers are staying. Got here around 9 at night. Very tired and so needed a shower. Haven't been out and about yet. Have orientation tomorrow morning at 6:45 am. That's right 6:45, yes there is a 6:45 in the morning, sigh.
Must try and get some sleep. Not really tired now. It's midnight here now but home it's only 4:30 pm. Jet lag is going to fun I'm guessing.
Pictures to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment